International Committee for Crimea, Inc.
ICC, P.O. Box 15078, Washington, DC 20003.
|HOME||Surgun: Deportation of Crimean Tatars||SEARCH|
It is difficult to believe that a narrow strip of land that lies to the northeast of the Crimean peninsula was the scene of a horrendous crime during WWII. The Arabat Spit was barely populated in 1944, when the remaining group of Crimean Tatar villagers were rounded up and drowned in the Azov Sea. A sandbar slightly over 100 km long, Arabat today remains a quiet place with beaches and health resorts. The name "Arabat" is derived from Arabic, meaning a military post and no doubt related to the Arabat Fortress built by the Ottoman Turks in the 17the century. A barrier island with no natural fresh water, the Arabat Spit was a wild area until the mid 19th century when Russian government built a road and several posts.
Posted: 26 December 2012